Sunday, February 3, 2008

There and Back Again

Last night was my theater night. For the Intro to Theater class, I had to go to two extra plays on top of the three we’re going to as a group. There is no shortage of performances to go to (this IS London, after all), but I had more choices than I really knew what to do with. Being that I don’t know all too much about theater and plays, I figured I would see one random one and one that I would be able to relate to fairly well. As it happens so often, the random choice worked out a lot better than the safe bet.

First was the random choice, The Woman in Black; supposedly the most frightening live performance in the world. A lot of startling jumps and scares. Very fun.

Then (I’m a little ashamed to admit it) was the Lord of the Rings musical. Almost 1000 pages of book or 9 hours of movie condensed into a 3 hour play leaving time for songs. If you’re thinking that it sounds kind of stupid, you would be right. Huge chunks of the story taken out, uninteresting songs, and a Balrog that wasn’t on fire. I’m glad I went because my curiosity has been sated, but…uh, yeah…it kinda sucked. The spider was super-cool though.

In between the shows, I went for a walk and stumbled upon a great view of Big Ben and The Tower of London. The picture doesn’t do the sight justice, but here you go.




ALSO: upon some good advice I went and saw St. Paul’s Cathedral the day before. You know something is grand when it’s too big to take a picture of, but I tried. Unfortunately, it cost about twenty bucks to get in and I don't want to blow my budget just yet. I guess they need to cover lawyer fees. Oh well.









Like they said in the musical...may the hair never fall out of your feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like exactly what Tolkien intended.

Al said...

your round head matches the round cathedral :D

Not counting Lay-overs.