Thursday, February 14, 2008

*Henry VI*

We had our last play to watch for the Intro to Theatre class tonight. Henry VI part 3 played at the Courtyard Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. Being one of Shakespeare’s Histories, and having no experience with any of the “Henry” plays (there is at least V, VI, VII, and VIII by my last count, three parts each….whew), I was really skeptical. The main reason, I think, we’re seeing this play, is because it’s the only one in town…I would imagine that they would have rather had us saw something that we’re all a little more familiar with, or at least could imagine ourselves seeing and understanding someday, but I guess that just wasn’t the case.

But I have to say…I LOVED IT!

I don’t mean to be a big, condescending, Shakespearean, big shot here…I had no idea what they were talking about half the time. Henry VI is basically about all the political intrigue between two rival groups (the Lancasters and the Yorks) who are battling over the crown of Britain. On top of that, the phenomenon of people laughing all around me while I’m sitting there not understanding what just happened - happened a lot more than I’m used to during the performance.

Didn’t matter…the outfits, the production, and most of all, the performances were so great that I was appalled by how good it was. (Especially the Richard character, a ruthless and vindictive hunchback…just amazing. He even cut a dude’s tongue out.)

I got to thinking during the intermission, about just what it would be like to be from a place that had this kind of history. While it is a dramatization, the history and outcomes discussed in Henry VI actually happened. Being American it kind of blew my mind to sit there and try to think about being a citizen (or subject) of a country in that kind of turmoil. On top of that, just think if American’s had to learn about all this kind of intrigue and drama in their own history (and it’s there to a certain degree, but not really taught in school). I’d like to think that more people in the U.S. would have a better understanding and appreciation for history if they had more of it, but I guess my thinking is a bit flawed…while it’s not old, America’s history has plenty of intrigue, so I guess my argument has a fault in it, but my point is:

I just can’t imagine being able to wrap my mind around the amount of history that the people of the U.K. have to. It boggles my mind. On top of that, the confounding royal lineage along with the associated Dukes, Earls, and Counts is something I just wrap my mind around.

Regardless, I loved the play and may be coming back during the second half of my free travel to see more Shakespeare while I’m near England…we’ll see. (…but the idea of seeing something with a character saying that he would rather cut off his hand and throw it at his enemy rather than kneeling before him resonates with me more than it did before.)

The final for the Theatre class is tomorrow and a reaction paper to the play is due as well, so I got to get going.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the updates. do you and al have an address i can send some pics too. your rp niece wants to meet her uncle and....aunt-ish??? hehe

Anonymous said...

just think of all the stories you can regale people with while you are picking out window treatments for their houses.......

Justin March said...

Window Treatments?

Anonymous said...

you know.....when you become an interior decorator.

Justin March said...

funny.

Not counting Lay-overs.