Monday, February 4, 2008

*Foriegn Superbowls and Theatrical Tours*

An interesting situation to be sure, watching the superbowl in another country. Apparently the New England Patriots have kind of turned into football’s version of the New York Yankees, because the people over here were all about Tom Brady (I’m sure I don’t know why). There was quite a bit of ambivalence as well, but I was surprised by the amount of coverage and interest the people I saw had in the Superbowl. I guess I kind of figured it to not be of interest to anybody outside of North America, but, just like the Yankees, I guess the Patriots kind of represent an American sport to the rest of the world. I just wish sometimes that the rest of the world didn’t just know one team from each sport. I can’t complain too much, though…the only British soccer team I can name is Manchester United, so I guess it’s pretty mush the same thing.

Being a bunch of Midwesterners, no one was really too invested in the game, but being Americans, half the group showed up to watch at least the first half (which started around ten or eleven o’clock). Unfortunately, the broadcast we were watching in the hostel was playing local, British commercials, so there were no signs of the lavish spectacle of the whole thing…I honestly went to bed before I could find out if the half-time show was broadcast.


A couple members of the group watching the Superbowl at the Hostel.

The next day, the group was somehow able to negotiate the tube system at rush hour (no small feat) to arrive at Westminster Abbey for a walking tour and boat ride down the Thames.

Wonderful wonderful tour guides…here are some pictures:


Big Ben


The Globe Theater


The torture chair at The Clink, an middle age prison

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we missed the end of it too. Is there anything sweeter than a Pats loss for this season. Well, there is....but oh man after living in NE for a little while Tommy & I were jumping for joy when we came home from church & watched the highlights.

Anonymous said...

Did you go inside the Globe? Maybe you can stand in the same spot as Shakespeare or something.

Al said...

is anyone else shocked (SHOCKED) eli pulled it off? there was much rejoicing on this end, lemme tell ya...

Not counting Lay-overs.