Saturday, February 23, 2008

*Theft in Madrid*

As opposed to London and Stratford, Madrid is a little less developed. This is not to say that Spain is backwards or that Madrid isn’t a thriving city; I just mean that there are more elements on the streets that seem a little seedy. Walking the streets, I generally feel safe, but there have been a couple times, while exploring the city, that I have gotten the distinct impression that I wasn’t wanted in the neighborhood: not a problem with me…if I’m not wanted, I leave.

The less desirable elements have made themselves known to the group as a whole as well. We have had two thefts so far. One was a straight up pickpocket; the other was a little more brash. As a small group of the students were trying to check into the hostel, apparently, someone from the street came in with them and picked up one of the bags – and simply walked out with it.

When the hostel clerk was told about it, he was amazed that the students had been speaking English outside the hostel and making targets of themselves.

Hard way to learn that it’s a good idea to shut the heck up once in awhile…but I don’t want to sound like they the victims deserved it. Some replaceable stuff was stolen, but everybody still has there passport, and that’s what’s important.

Unfortunately, the two thefts served as great reminders to everybody that we are all in a foreign land and that even those of us that speak Spanish, don’t speak “Spain” Spanish. We are traveling, and traveling can be a real hassle sometimes.

One last note: there are several people who love me that read this and I need you to know that I am taking every precaution and am being as safe as possible.

No comments:

Not counting Lay-overs.