Wednesday, February 27, 2008

*European Approaches to Disability*

With the museum pass, I've been trying to take in as much culture (and inflicting as much walking on my legs) as I can.

Saw a couple of art museums yesterday where the big thing was the local artists:


Vazquez


and

Goya

Today, I saw the Royal Palace (no pictures...sorry) and the Museum for the Blind. Perhaps it's just off my radar, but I don't know if there is anything in the U.S. that can compare to the Madrid's Museum for the Blind, a place where the blind are given the opportunity to know what some of the major landmarks of the world "look" like.





I think it has something to do with the European attitude of being more cognizant of those with disabilities. The Museum for the Blind is the best example I have found, but most definitely not the only example where Europe is light years ahead of the U.S. and almost everywhere else in terms of social services for those with disabilities.

Even those who are not disabled, but disadvantaged are treated to more respect and attention. In London, I remember that most of their cultural experiences and theaters had a concession entry fee, which not only referred to student tickets, but unemployed tickets as well. It seems that Europe has a much easier time realizing that the arts, culture, and in the case of the Museum for the Blind, accomplishments of mankind, are not only for those who can pay full price, or find their own way - unassisted, to the event.

I wouldn't mind a little more of that kind of thinking in the States.

6 comments:

Justin March said...

400,000 people at Woodstock in 1969...and Humbert Humphrey lost to Nixon the year before. 400,000 people who, apparently, thought they could change the world with sex, drugs, and rock and roll when they could of saved themselves a whole lot of trouble (and work) and just voted. I am many things...hippie is not one of them.

Justin March said...

Sorry...that was a little terse. I meant it a little more lightheartedly.

Anonymous said...

sounds like someone is getting ready for a run in congress. Maybe I'll have someone I can vote for instead of just voting against people.

Justin March said...

Only if you like my pro-blind, anti-hippie agenda.

Anonymous said...

what about the blind hippies?

Justin March said...

Still hippies...let them find there own way.

Not counting Lay-overs.