Tuesday, February 12, 2008

*London (Victoria Coach Station) to Stratford-upon-Avon*

Bounded to the next stop on our journey today. The group is now at a lovely country manor near Stratford-upon-Avon, in Warwickshire.






Gotta love those Hostel Views.

I have to be honest, it feels good to be out of London, after I had run out of interesting things to do and see I was left with an expensive and distracting situation. Although, Stratford seems quite busy as well…a lot of hustle bustle from the tourist trade.

Before the bus left the station, I had to grab a coffee and something to eat from navigating the tube through rush hour. As the deli guy handed me my samosa he asked where in America I was from. I told him near Minnesota and he asked if I supported Clinton or Obama. I was a little weirded out by the brashness of the question, but I told him the answer. As I walked away, it occurred to me that he didn’t even ask if I supported McCain. Don’t know if he was making assumptions or if he didn’t get the whole process, but whichever the case, the American election is being paid attention to elsewhere.

The ride, though cramped, was nice and leisurely, for me at least. I don’t think I would care for driving myself anywhere in Europe, more intensity than I have blood pressure for.

As stupid as it sounds I was almost amazed when I started to see plowed land and sheep; like, real live farms. Half of me wonders how they make a living knowing how industrialized and businesslike farmers have to be in the Midwest (not to mention just the sheer amount of land that has to be worked to make it in North Dakota). The other half is filled with memories about my grandparent’s old sheep ranch. It’s interesting that I have to come to the English countryside to get nostalgic.

When we got to the bus stop, we were given information on how where to get a city bus pass and where to the bus stop was at, not to mention where to go. We all qued up for the bus pass, and after I got it, I walked out of the information station to find the group all gathering together waiting around. I asked a few people what they were waiting for and didn’t get a real answer and decided that I didn’t want to wait around for nothing to happen. I announced that I was going to find the bus and drop off my luggage at the hostel and that’s what I did.


Waiting for the bus

Dropping off the gear and having some time to kill, I went back to the birthplace of Shakespeare to see what the town is all about and find some resources (ATM, Post Office, Groceries, a pub)

Stratford-upon-Avon is a nice little town, but it seemed very busy. I suppose it gets quite a bit of tourist visitation, which gives the town a much more bustling feel. If you have ever been to the main street in Stillwater, MN, it’s kind of like that: a little town which lures in people to sell them stuff, and in the process…loses the small town feel. Not to say that Stratford is exactly like Stillwater; there’s a legitimate reason why tourists want to come hear: Shakespeare.


“The Fool” at Town Centre




One thing I found was that you shouldn’t use old buildings like this as landmarks - there are a lot of them.

Doing much more Shakespeare related stuff in the coming days and I’m sure there will be pictures.

Ta.

4 comments:

Al said...

alright, is 'ta' some weird english thing?

maybe the farmers in england get better/more productive subsidies than american farmers do, and for more diverse varieties of crops that don't require a lot of land? not sure.

Sus said...

What is the building with the clock behind you? I like it very much. Is that a tatie you're eating? Kind of looks like it... :)

Anonymous said...

so in the fool at town center are you refering to the statue or the picture of the guy below it holding some weird looking food? p.s. thanks for the post card!

Justin March said...

yeah that's right...that wierd food is a potatoe...by the way, you don't want to know where I had to go to get that card.

Not counting Lay-overs.