Thursday, February 21, 2008

*Getting By with the Vocabulary of a Two-Year-Old*

I send a postcard to the wife-ish everyday. (I don't like the word fiance. It sounds like one is still leaving themselves a way out of the marriage. Therefor, I use the term wife-ish.)

I hadn't realized the how hard it was going to be getting by in a foreign language. I figure I have about 6 to 10 Spanish words in my vocabulary, which, I imagine, is about what a two-year-old knows.

So just imagine trying to go to the post office (well, first think how hard it is to find a post office) and buy stamps.

*For all of you who are thinking I'm ignorant for not learning the language of the country that I was going to...um...you're right*

You figure out ways not to look like a complete idiot, though. Showing the gentleman the postcard and pointing to the space where the stamp would go, and then pointing to the address that said "U.S.A." on it worked well until I realized that he would want to know how many I wanted. I needed twelve, but I don't know the word for twelve...so I said eight (ocho) and I'll just go back for the other four (quatro) later. Seems pretty simple, but I felt like an absolute genius to at least come up with a plan.

I'm sure there will be a part two of this story, as my misadventures through the Spanish language will, no doubt, continue.

No comments:

Not counting Lay-overs.