Sunday, March 16, 2008

*Items to Declare (France) - O'Rielly vs. Wife(ish): TWO ENTER...ONE LEAVES.*



“In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language”
-Mark Twain.

Now...I'm not one to tell the people of a city what to do, but there is entirely too much dog poo on the sidewalks of Paris. O'Rielly: +1

Went out to grab some food the other day and the place was pretty much empty except for me and one other customer. As I was sat down at my table I heard a conversation start in the entry way between the woman working there and someone else. I was getting food that was already prepared and just had to be warmed up, so I was a little confused ten minutes later when I was still just staring at the coke can I had ordered to go with my meal. It seems in her conversation, the lady had completely forgotten about me. Not typical, but not surprising as far as French culture goes (it seems to me). There is a sort of self-centeredness in the people of any big city, but especially Paris...Not unlike New Englanders in the U.S. When you have so many people packed into an area that small people do things to maintain their individual space. In New England the act like jerks...in Paris they ignore you. I can understand it, but I was still forgotten about after I had paid good money for the meal. O'Rielly: +1

The food is absolutely wonderful. Anything I have eaten I have thoroughly enjoyed...even the pizza with Anchovies (not that I will ever order that again.) Wife(ish): +1

The metro system, when compared to London, seems inefficient and slow. Whereas in London you either moved with a purpose or got out of the way...Paris seems a lot more easy going, a lot more accepting if you get a little confused, which happens easily since the signs seem to be put up in a matter to make you not get where you're going. Even the locals seemed to be lost half the time. Not a big deal when you don't need to be somewhere quick, but infuriating when you're in a hurry. It's much nicer to walk anywhere you go. O'Rielly: +1

You can talk all you want about vibe and aura and nonsense like that, but I generally will (if your lucky) just look at you with a confused and puzzled expression...but there is something about Paris that is amazing. Whether it's the constant presence of people embracing and making out (you know...maybe that's why France doesn't get into stupid wars - they've found out that it's easier and much more fun to make love, not war), the fact that everywhere you go there is something incredibly old and/or beautiful to see, or even just the reputation; this city is definitely different than anywhere I have ever been and it has been incredibly hard to be in a place that makes me feel this way when I can't be here with the one person I would want to be here with more than any one else. I guess we'll just have to come back :) Wife(ish): +1

OK, so I leave for Frieburg, by way of Strausburg tomorrow. Sad to leave Paris, but OVERJOYED to be going back to Germany.

Oh!!! almost forgot the finally tally of Bill-O vs. the wife(ish):

It was 4 to 2 before I started this edition...lets see here:

WIFE(ISH) WINS BY A HAIR!!! 6 TO 5!!!!!

You will be getting your prize in the mail (it's a good thing you won, cause I don't think Bill O'Rielly would take kindly to me sending him a dress from Paris).

"Back home everyone said I didn't have any talent. They might be saying the same thing over here but it sounds better in French."
-An American in Paris.

3 comments:

Al said...

well, at least if the dress doesn't fit, I can send it on to my runner up. ;)

make sure you get the foie gras in strasbourg! you cannot be in the bloody home of foie gras and not get some!

Anonymous said...

1. what is foie gras exactly? 2. I bet bill would have been very surprised to receive a dress from a stranger, I would like to watch that unfold! 3. Germans rock! (not counting David Hasslehoff.)

Justin March said...

Germans do indeed rock.

Foie Gras is Duck that has been stuffed (using a hose that is stuck down the throat) with I believe fat and lard. It is apparently quite good, but I didn't get the...ummm...pleasure?

Not counting Lay-overs.