Sunday, March 30, 2008

*Gimmelwald to Interlocken; Interlocken to Milan; Milan to Verona.*

27Mar08

Sadly, I had to leave Switzerland…even more sadly, I had to get up at five in the morning to do so, or at least that’s what I thought. I made my way down the Gondola (which is a little more intense going down than it is going up) and into Interlocken. The process was a lot quicker than I thought it would be and I was left at the Interlocken train station with about two and a half hours to kill and not wanting it spend the five Swiss francs for a locker for the luggage.

Finally, the train came and I was off to Italy, It was weird too; I could tell as soon as I was in Italy by the red tile roofs and the lack of snow, as well the vibe on the train, which became louder with every stop with the addition of more Italians.

Being caught up in the grandeur of the Swiss Alps, I had forgotten that I would be heading back Southern Europe and hadn’t mentally prepared for either the language or the Mediterranean people’s proclivity for standing in the way when one needs to get around them. They don’t do it on purpose (I think), more like a kind of cultural obliviousness that I can’t criticize them for, even though it bugs the heck out of me.

Made it to the hostel to find a 14th century manor, converted from a convent to a hostel. Think about that…the place I am living in is more than twice as old as the United States. Europe is indeed the old world.

They feed us very very well here and, other than the cold marble floors, all is well (other than my claves and ankles itching incredibly due to being dried out from almost being frost-bitten).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what's a clave?

Not counting Lay-overs.