Monday, March 24, 2008

Gimmelwald and the Hippy from Hamburg


Got to the hotel in the early afternoon and was a little tired from the travels so I decided to lay low for a bit. Bad move - fog and bad weather came in as I realized that I could get wireless internet at one of the highest points in Switzerland. All was not lost as I was able to play a nice game of online Scrabble with the wife(ish), but I didn't get to go out and do any hiking until the sun was about ready to set. A lovely day, to be sure, but not the grand Alpine adventure I was hoping for.

...but that's why the good lord created tomorrow, and I'll be sure to head out early. Trouble is, that a lot of the hiking paths are still snowed in. I'll make my way, and the sights I've seen have already been worth coming here, but you know...there's always room for more.

Had a great dinner at my hotel by an old man who seems to know Rick Steves personally (there's pictures of him all over the place). Dinner was made interesting by the only other guest of the hotel. Long flowing grey hair and a broad German chin. Quoted Timothy Leary, George Orwell, and Alistair Crowley at me...not in a mean way, mind you, just very talkative and not a very good listener. I think he said that he played improvisational flute in a jazz band in Hamburg. Seriously, the most un-German German I have ever met.

Nice conversation though...



Here's hoping that tomorrow brings good weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so I had to wikipedia rick steves and on his page there is a picture of him at a hotel in grimmelwald. same one?

Justin March said...

The Hotel Mitaghorn? Yup.

Not counting Lay-overs.