Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hiking in the Swiss Alps in the Snow.


First off, I want everyone to know that I am not the most experienced hiker out there. I am very aware of that; however, I like to think that I have just enough experience to know when I'm about to do something stupid. So, as long as I don't do the stupid thing (no matter how much I may want to) I should be alright. I'm still here so this assumption must be at least somewhat correct. Right?

Woke up this morning to the sight of snow on the windowsill that had not been there when I went to bed. Concerned that I wouldn't be able to get out and enjoy my time here I was a little despondent.

Having had breakfast I went and hung out in the room for a while, catching up on events and doing some research for my upcoming paper. Round about 11:00 or so the sun came out and as soon as I noticed, I was gone.

Walking in the opposite direction I had before I started up the switchbacks for the hill...up and up until I finally looked up and saw a trail marker in the trees. Finally, I thought, an Alpine hiking trail.

a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh8PUjkmSZxQm7qm8OAZbL6dlYBjEydpvY5GIAV1rmcl46s9I9u_yGet2UwEQ_yA3UxBQl6CFKMUbeMUbX1Iy2C1D8Mc16j1MKCrVvqdPxGlK-Got3Qfgv5QZnWwrYkwLRaRe2QfdN-nU5x/s1600-h/IMG_1275.JPG">

I made it up to the trail marker and soon realized that with the snow last night, I would be hiking in knee deep whiteness. I decided to go a little ways and see if it was worth it to go...besides, the trail went in the direction of a peak that I would have loved to get to the top off and that I think there is a trail for.

Not close.

The foot to two feet of snow was pretty easy to get through and the trail was pretty easy to follow so I kept on...I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. Thick trees, but every once in a while they would break to reveal the stunning view.


I was also on my way up to that peak that I had been eyeing.

Closer.

A body is not like a brain in the fact that there is no desire when it comes to the body, only need. As in, if the body doesn't get enough oxygen in at a higher elevation then it's used to it just doesn't work, no matter how much the brain might want to follow a trail. That being said, I also realized that a lot of snow had found it's way to my ankles and calves and the skin was starting to go numb...there my be some instances where frostbite is worth it, but I still have a month left on this trip and this is not one of them, so I turned back.

Close enough.

The way back down was much easier and quicker and I am know sitting back at the hotel getting ready to write more of my paper as the bad weather comes in again. Content with my FIRST Alpine hiking experience (legs intact and cozy).












4 comments:

Al said...

so beautiful. so very beautiful

oh, the scenery is nice, too.

:)

Anonymous said...

you two get a room! Looks like a good time. we might need to save our pennies so we can get a copy of "Mr. Moosesac's Guide to Europe and Comic Books".

Anonymous said...

p.s.-I know for a fact that Justin is a very expierenced rock climber!

Justin March said...

Man, you keep hinting at all these embarrassing stories like I haven't already told her everything...(at least I think I have...)

Not counting Lay-overs.