Thursday, April 3, 2008

Verona to Venice; Venice to Vienna (with a guy from Boston named George).

I think I've mentioned enough about what I didn't like about Verona...I guess I should say something good (this happened after I did the whole "Items to Declare" for Italy.

Had a morning with no class and no trips or anything like that planned, so I decided to see if I could find the city wall that stretches out on the hill to the North of town.


You can see it there in the background.

It took no longer than fifteen minutes to find the entry point and I was off to a beautiful, sunny, solo morning of hiking. Went right first and eventually made my way around the wall (see, walls never work to keep people in or out), on the other side was a beautiful walking path.











Running out of road...I decided to head back, but once I got back to my starting point, I realized that I didn't want to be done yet...so I continued on in the other direction.

The other direction lead to this view:








The only reason I'm letting you all know about all this is just so that you know that Italy isn't all bad...I did enjoy my time here...it's just that some of the people kind of grated on my nerves a bit. I think that have of learning about a new culture and traveling is knowing the difference between the problem being you and the problem being them. In the case of Italy and almost everywhere...the problem has been me not adapting to the culture.

That being said...I still don't care for machismo and think that it's a crappy excuse for being a real man; but whatever...

took the train last night...all night got on in Venice at 10:30 and got off in Vienna at 8:30. The ride was made much more enjoyable by the guy I shared the cabin with. A gentleman from Boston named George who has been traveling since September...and you could tell too. Had a lengthy conversation about being Americans...excuse me...citizens of the United States abroad. Most enjoyable and challenging at times...good conversation and debate has been something that's been missing in my life since I left the airport and the wife(ish) in January, so it was nice. I'm in Vienna now and am enjoying it (and the free internet at the hostel if you can't tell). Will post pictures and stories soon.

Take care.

No comments:

Not counting Lay-overs.