Thursday, April 17, 2008

Berlin on a Bike.

To be honest, I was not excited about taking a bike tour through Berlin for four hours.

I was sure that someone was going to be hit by a car...not to mention I have to make plans and get plane tickets for the last two weeks (which I was able to do for fairly cheap...$150 Berlin to Oslo, $55 Oslo to London).

...but the bike tour was excellent. If you are ever going to be in Paris, London, Barcelona, or Berlin look up Fat Tire Bike Tours and have a great time...the tour guide was pretty knowledgeable but still not utterly weighing people down with fact after fact. A good time.


The oldest church in Berlin (1200's or so).


By the way...I'm staying in what used to be East Berlin...some of the monuments have been left up....BUT I SWEAR I'M NOT A COMMUNIST.


Checkpoint Charlie.


About as close to the Wall as i wanted to get.


The last Sniper Tower in Berlin.


The monument to the Murdered Jews.


The first Soviet Tank to enter Berlin.


A monument to Otto Von Bismarck's consolidation of power which pretty much paved the way for a unified Germany...until the Cold War, anyway. Side note: When U.S. troops occupied this section of Berlin they didn't know what to call this monument, so it - officially - became known as "chick on a stick."


The Riechstad: Germany's Parliamentary Building.


The Berliner Dom: The world's largest Protestant Cathedral.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, Berlin seems to be lacking

Justin March said...

I think that it's just me...I'm trying to a lay low a little bit and reserve my energy...Allison's coming out in three days.

Shaun said...

en~which is Marx???

Tom and April said...

how exciting..have fun with Ali....I bet you guys are so excited!!! I remember being apart forever and waiting the days out....enjoy it..it goes by too fast. Have fun.

Not counting Lay-overs.