Saturday, April 12, 2008

Items to Declare (Czech Republic)

-First off, there is a reason why Czech people drink more beer than any other nation in the world per capita...they make the best. I don't want to sound like some boozy spring-breaker whose out on a whirlwind party through Europe, but I would like to address this fact:



I would always notice with students, sailors, soldiers, and whoever else had made it over to Europe for what ever reason, that they would always scorn American beer (the wife(ish) included). I always thought it was some kind of vague snobbery (no offense). I was wrong, because, between Germany and the Czech Republic, I am ruined for (North) American beer. I almost wish that everybody...non-drinkers included, could at least have half a taste of this stuff, because it really is as good - and better - than everybody said it would be.

-If you know to look for it, you can see signs that this used to be a Communist state all over. Some of the most beautiful architecture in the world is in Prague, as well as the Brutilist tenements that were so typical of Warsaw pact countries. On top of that, you can see it in the older people...maybe it was the neighborhood we were staying in being a bit cheaper, but there were more disabled people than I am used to seeing on an average street...legs lopped off, mental problems, and all kinds of crutches, limps, and skin problems. It says more to me about the transition and people all of the sudden not given the support by the government that they had before, but maybe I just noticed it more here because I was looking for it. Who knows.

-It's interesting to be in a place where the water is truly suspect. I've never been in a situation where I bought bottled water for the pure fact that the municipal water may have more pollutants than I want. This might be just my ignorance, but Prague is part of "The Dirty Triangle" and I didn't feel like taking any chances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently you never went to India and tried the water.

Not counting Lay-overs.