Monday, April 21, 2008

Items to Declare (Berlin).

I honestly didn't get out as much as I should have during my stay in Germany's capital. Reason for this include coming down with a head cold, trying to save money, trying to save energy, and finish up classes for the semester (for the most part).

Some things I did notice though:

If you're ever in Berlin while there is a soccer game, make sure you wear good shoes the next day. Apparently it's common practice for the hooligans to break bottles in the streets.

We were a little surprised when we thought we were going on the Mauer museum (the museum commemorating the Berlin wall and the separation of Germany during the cold war) guided tour, and found out that we were being given a lecture by a gentleman who spent nine years as a Stasi (the East German secret police) political prisoner. No one had any idea that that was what we were going to be seeing. Well worthwhile, to be sure, but a bit of a shock when we realized what was going on.

Rampant individualism going on in Berlin...I'm not impressed by much when it comes to people dressing up and looking stupid for fashion and their own ego's sake, but, I have seen some impressive styles in Berlin and dos create it's own culture...I guess that's what happens after a cold war and repression...people just go nuts with freedom. Kinda fun to watch (although, out of context (like in the states), I wouldn't be impressed).

On to Norway...and the wife(ish)...seriously, I've been thinking about seeing this woman again for about three months, and am honestly a bit nervous about the whole thing...but I'm sure everything will work out and everything will be great. She's the only one who could get me to use a smiley face. :)

4 comments:

Al said...

wheeee! see you in a few! :)

Anonymous said...

First smiley faces, then the next thing you will be using "LOL" throughout your posts. LOL!!

Justin March said...

We'll see if YOU get a smiley face, buddy...

Anonymous said...

:(

Not counting Lay-overs.