Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Moving and Money.

Thank yous go out to my parents for bringing the moving van over this morning and helping me with my meager belongings. It was a fairly quick and easy task to load up all my stuff; however, the clean-up that ensued after they left was a bit of a different story. You don't really realize how dirty you are until you have to clean up after yourself, and that's exactly how I spent the afternoon. I think I may have burnt my finger prints off with cleaning products. Oh well...I'm out now, homeless, again. (No matter the reason, it does put a slight twinge in the pride to be a twenty-eight year old at your parents - or at least it ought to.)

"Cash rules everything around me. C.R.E.A.M. Get the money, dolla dolla-bill ya'll."
-Method Man (Wu-Tang Clan), C.R.E.A.M.

Extra vigilance is looking like it's going to be the name of the game on this trip when it comes to money. For example: How the Declining Dollar Affects Study Abroad.

Fortunately, the trip is set up with most of the cost up front. Flights, Eurail Passes, and Hostels are all provided as part of the program fees, and I didn't really have a whole lot of baggage room for souvenirs anyway; but, again, I'm used to traveling through the Navy, where we were underway for months at a time making money we couldn't spend. It made the port-visits quite nice. Yet another difference in how I have to travel on this trip compared to how I have been conditioned to travel.

In any case, it should be interesting, albeit, a bit challenging to get through this trip with out starving. (Come to think of it, I could stand to lose a few pounds...but not the British kind.)

No comments:

Not counting Lay-overs.